In 1898, the Sisters of St. Joseph returned to Cluny, France and, Father Charles Laengst, C.S.Sp., moved promptly to obtain a commitment from the Poor School Sisters of Notre Dame (as they were then called) from Ripa, St. Louis. On September 12, 1899, Mother Bonaventure, S.S.N.D, arrived with two teaching sisters and a novice to serve as cook. There were no class or grade divisions at that time so the records indicate there were 23 "large" pupils and 14 "small" ones. Enrollment, however, was far from complete because the good Sisters had arrived in cotton-picking season. Sessions were apparently desultory during that first year.
However, as anyone who has attended Sacred Heart School knows, the Schools Sisters of Notre Dame are not to be bested very long by anyone or anything. The second year opened August 7th with an enrollment of 21. Classes recessed in September as a concession to King Cotton, but reconvened in October and remained in session until June.